Cantalapiedra Viticultores, Arenisca 'Paraje Los Pilones', VdT Castilla y Léon, Spain, 2020
You may call young winemaker, Manuel Cantalapiedra, a rebel or even a freedom fighter but most importantly he is a farmer with a clear vision for the style of Verdejo he wants to make in Castilla y León.
Manuel shares a passion for this grape with his father, who he named the winery after, and with his neighbours, but this is where the common interest ends and the rebellion begins. Harvesting later, organically and from single vineyard plots, his wines demonstrate power and finesse in equal measure. His heart and his vineyards lie in the centre of DO Rueda, yet his wines are miles ahead of the appellation.
The vineyard is located in Villabuena del Puente, a small village 20km south from Toro. It is a blend of pure tinta de Toro with 5 % of other white varieties divided in three plots in “Paraje Los Pilones. José is a vinegrower working organically with a passion for his vineyards. The soils are mainly sandstone with a mix of clay and limestone at lower layers. The vines are bush trained and the density is around 1100-1200 vines/ha. Yields are around 2700 kg/ha.
The grapes were picked by hand in 15kg cases. Once in the cellar, 80% is destemed and crushed and feremented in an inox tank at a temperature of 23ºC. The other 20% is fermented with the stems in open vats. After 25 days, the grapes are pressed and then racked to used French oak barrels of 225, 300 and 500 liters to go through malolactic fermentation. After that, the wine stays in the barrels for 11 months with no rackings and no addition of sulphur. Then, the wine is racked to an inox tank and bottled unfined and unfiltered.
Type: French Oak 225, 300, 500 and 500 litre barrels.
% wine oaked: 100
% new oak: None
Medium bodied, fruity and intense on the nose, with rounded notes of blackberry, plum, leather and earth. Well balanced, fleshy, persistent, elegant and lively on the palate, with a long and pleasant finish.
A no-brainer for beef and other red-meat dishes, even dishes with spicy flavours.
Tinto de Toro 95%
Verdejo, Palomino, Malvasia, Moscatel 5%
12 x 75cl