Skip to main content

We love our food! Explore a feast for the senses with words, opinions, memories, pseudo science and the odd (sometimes very odd) photo.

Johannes Trapl, Blaufränkisch Prellenkirchen, Carnuntum, Austria, 2017

Download Print
wine bottle image

Technical Details

  • Blend: Blaufränkisch 100%

  • ABV: 12.5%

  • Closure: Natural cork

  • Colour: Red

  • Style: Still wine

  • Suitable for Vegetarians: Yes

  • Suitable for Vegans: Yes

  • Organic: Yes

  • Biodynamic: Yes

Producer Profile

Johanne's organic journey began over 10 years ago with the initial goal being to have all of his vineyards certified, his attention has now turned to biodynamic practices. Devoted to plant diversity and vineyard care, his grapes are carefully watched as they reach a steady, healthy ripeness. This natural, low tech approach is continued in the winery where grapes for his premium wines are foot-trodden and then naturally fermented before being aged in amphoras to help bring to life the efforts and attention shown in the vineyard.


This wine stems from vines up to 38 years old vines that thrive on Danube gravel, loess, loam and limestone soils that dominate the geology around Stixneusiedl and Prellenkirchen. The density of vines is 3000 - 5500 vines/ha, and are 100% organic. Biodynamic farming is also in place.


Grapes are manually harvested in small crates and carefully sorted by hand again in the winery. 80% of the grapes were destemmed and trodden by foot. The remaining 20% were trodden on the stems. Fermentation began on the mash and concluded in barrels. After 6 to 10 days maceration, the mash was pressed gently. The 12-month maturation took place in 500-litre barrels. No cultivated yeasts, bacteria or fining agents were used during vinification.

Oak Treatment

Time: 12 Months; Type: 500 Litre Austrian Oak; % oaked: 100; % new oak: None;

Tasting Note

Dark ruby with purple highlights. Delicate black cherry, intense herbal spice, subtle liquorice and a touch of tangerine zest. Complex and mineral with a superbly balanced acidity and tannin structure.

Food Matching

Lamb, wild duck and venison.

green principals logo
Our Green Principals are those that demonstrate a responsible and sustainable approach to viticulture, vinification, commerce and community.
rational image
Rational producers demonstrate that they use the least amount of intervention in the vineyard and winery to make the best possible wine.
Certified Organic, now focussed on working biodynamically. Native Yeasts. Minimal sulphur usage.