Fancy being creative in the kitchen?
Try them at home and let us know if you are a true master chef or just a food delivery slave.
Empanadas de Pino Recipe
Quantity: 12/13 Units
Prep Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
Ingredients for the Pino:
- 1 kilo or 2 pounds of ground beef
- 237ml or 1 cup beef broth
- 3 large or 4 medium onions chopped into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (any flour that isn’t self-raising will do)
- 2 tablespoons red pepper or paprika or Merken (Chilean smoked chili)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- 20 black olives
- 40 raisins
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
For the dough:
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 kilo or 2 pounds of all-purpose flour
- 4 egg yolks
- 180 grams/ 6,5 oz of melted butter/marg, warm
- For the Pino, always do it the day before,
In a large saucepan heat some oil and fry the meat and onion until lightly browned, about 8 minutes, add the paprika, salt, pepper, and cumin, saute a few minutes.
Add the broth and simmer 30 minutes over low heat and cook over medium heat until everything is tender.
Add the flour (optional and depends if the sauce is thick enough) and stir well and adjust seasoning if necessary, cook two more minutes. Cool and refrigerate.
- For the dough (following day)
Make a brine with the milk, water, and salt, stir to dissolve the salt altogether. In a large bowl mix the flour and egg yolks, mix for a minute to incorporate.
Add the melted butter or marg and work a little more, at this point you will see only crumbs. To form the dough star adding the brine with the mixer running on low speed until the dough is soft and flexible. If needed, keep adding water. Separate the dough into 12-13 portions and cover with a moist cloth.
Work each piece individually, rolling until thin, cut in a circle about 20cm and fill with two tablespoons of Pino, a quarter of hard-boiled egg, olives and raisins if desired. Close smearing the edge, press firmly and make the folds. Brush with an egg wash before baking.
- Pre-heated the oven to 350F or 180C. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden.
- Serve hot. To reheat, do it in the oven at the same temperature for 15 minutes.
- 1/2 onion chopped very small (white or yellow onion)
- 1 bunch coriander, loads!
- 2-3 Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon (juice only)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon oil
- 2 red chili, chopped super fine
- Chopped everything and gather everything in a bowl and season. Stir well and taste, adjust the seasoning to taste.
It is better rested in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. Serve with BBQ, empanadas, etc