Domaine Bernard Defaix, Chablis 1er Cru, Côte de Léchet, Burgundy, France, 2022
Spending time in Didier and Sylvain’s company you immediately understand the energy and effort that is put into their wines, or more correctly, their vines and land.
Situated a little north of the eponymous village of Chablis the brothers have some of the best situated vineyards in the whole of the region and their efforts to coax the best from the soil are incredible. This translates directly into the wines which are powerful, textural and capable of considerable development. Certified organic and with bio-dynamic influences the gentle caring approach of the Defaix boys makes their wines flagship examples of why Chablis is so special.
For many years the Domaine had been moving towards a sustainable and more ecologically friendly way of farming. Organic farming is the logical result of all this work and some biodynamic practises are now also being introduced. The soils are from the Upper Jurassic period (Kimmeridgean only for all our plots). The plots are located on hillsides facing South-East. Yields are kept to around 45 - 50 hl/ha.
Grapes are harvested at perfect ripeness and gently pressed. Fermentation and ageing in oak barrels for 20% of the wine, and in stainless steel tanks for the other 80%. Alcoholic fermentation with natural yeasts. Malolatic fermentation with natural bacterias. The wine stays on its fine lees for several months then blended before fining and bottling.
% wine oaked: 20
% new oak: None
The remarkable stony and sunny soils of the vineyards are captured in this powerful and complex wine. It flourishes with age and expresses mineral aromas reminiscent of gunflint. The wine is full and flavoursome but with a firm backbone of acidity. The Côte de Lechet is one of the Premiers Crus of the Chablisian vineyard with the most exceptional ageing potential.
A beautiful wine which will enhance any dish, try it with fish dishes even in rich sauces, poultry, risotto…
12 x 75cl